Thursday, February 21, 2008

What's Capturing My Attention, of Late.....


Browsing through the stacks of books at Dillon's (I am totally devoted to a grocer who prioritizes books and designates a special spot in the store for showcasing current books!), I came across a couple of books by former members of the Fundamentalist Latter-Day Saints sect in Texas and Arizona. One thing led to another and I was on an independent study of Mormonism, polygamy, and the FLDS. As a book group facilitator, I receive advanced copies each month from various publishing houses. This past spring, The Nineteenth Wife, by David Ebershoff, came in the mail and I've been enthralled with this novel, based on historical facts around early day Mormonism and Brigham Young. In addition, I picked up Escape, by Carolyn Jessop and Stolen Innocence, by Elissa Wall (non-fiction about their experiences as children growing up and in becoming wives in the FLDS sect), Under the Banner of Heaven, by Jon Krakauer, and Red Water, by Janet Freeman. You can read more about them by clicking on the titles above.


No comments: